Friday, February 13, 2009

Does it Really Matter?

I drove past a car recently with a bumper sticker that read, “It don’t matter to Jesus.” I suppose whoever created the sticker, and the person who had it on their car, meant to convey some positive statement of their faith, perhaps something like “There’s no need for us to worry because Jesus isn’t worried.” But as I thought about the words, I found myself thinking, “Really? Really??

Is there really anything that doesn’t matter to the Sovereign God of the Universe? Is it possible that there is even one thing about which the One who works all things together for good would say, “That doesn’t matter”? The God who numbers every hair on our head, the sands of the sea and the stars of the sky, the Lord who has a plan and a purpose for each of us, the Savior who suffered so that He might freely give us all things and bless us with every spiritual blessing – will He ever say that there is even a wisp of wind or a blade of grass or a ripple on a puddle that isn’t important?

“It don’t matter to Jesus.” That is probably the most offensive bumper sticker I have ever seen.

No comments: