Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Abusive Power

Today I came across the following quote from John Maxwell:

Consider the "Path to Abusive Power" in leaders:
Stage One: Surprise -- "I get this?"
Stage Two: Self-Esteem -- "I need this."
Stage Three: Satisfaction -- "I deserve this."
Stage Four: Selfishness -- "I demand this."



The Junkster's thoughts on this quote:

Many, perhaps most, pastors start without any expectation of special privilege or personal gain as a result of their position, and are genuinely surprised at whatever blessings or benefits come their way from being a pastor. But over time they may become convinced that they need and deserve the perks that come with a position of power, and eventually expect and demand them as their right.

May God grant pastors who start out and remain humble servants.

1 comment:

gmommy said...

Just read your song...you crack me up! Thank you!